UTTHITA PARSVAKONASANA :
Parsva means side or flank. Kona is an angle. This is the extended lateral angle pose.
- Stand in Tadasana. (Plate1) Take a deep inhalation and with a jump spread the legs apart sideways 4 to 4 ½ feet. Raise the arms sideways, in line with the shoulders, plams facing down. (Plate 2).
- While exhaling slowly, turn the right foot sideways 90 degrees to the right, and the left foot slightly to the right, keeping the left leg stretched out and tightened at the knee. Bend the right leg at the knee until the thigh and the calf form a right angle the right thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Place the right palm on the floor by the side of the right foot, the right armpit covering and touching the outer side of the right knee. Stretch the left arm out over the left ear. Keep the head up. (Plates 5 and 6).
- Tighten the loins and stretch the hamstrings. The chest, the hips and the legs should be in a line and in order to achieve this, move the chest up and back. Stretch every part of the body, concentrating on the back portion of the whole body, specially the spine. Stretch the spine until all the vertebrae and ribs move and there is a feeling that even the skin is being stretched and pulled.
- Remain in this pose from half a minute to a minute, breathing deeply and evenly. Inhale and lift the right palm from the floor.
- Inhale, straighten the right leg and raise the arms as in position 1.
- Continue with exhalation as in positions 2 to 5, reversing all processes, on the left side.
- Exhale and jump back to Tadasana. (Plate 1)
This asana tones up the ankles, knees and thighs. It corrects defects in the calves and thighs, develops the chest and reduces fat round the waist and hips and relieves sciatic and arthritic pains. It also increases peristaltic activity and aids elimination.
- Releases the tension in the shoulder and neck.
- Strengthens the legs, ankles and knees.
- It is therapeutic for constipation, infertility, sciatica, low back pain etc.
- It is good for developing stamina and endurance.
- It lengthens the side waist.